Hemp seeds are the seeds of the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa. They are from the same species as cannabis (marijuana) but a different variety. However, they contain only trace amounts of THC, the psychoactive compound in marijuana. Hemp seeds are exceptionally nutritious and rich in healthy fats, protein and various minerals.
The many health benefits of hemp seed oil come from its high content of three polyunsaturated fatty acids: linoleic acid, alpha-linolenic acid, and gamma-linolenic acid. Additionally, its ratio of omega-6 (linoleic acid) to omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid) fatty acids is 3:1. (this 3:1 fatty acid ratio is ideal for health benefits in humans).
What is HEMP Seed Oil Good For
Hemp seed oil provides the following health benefits:
1. Promotes Heart Health – Hemp seed oil is rich in linoleic acid. Studies have shown that eating a diet high in linoleic acid significantly reduces total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or “bad” cholesterol.
Lowering cholesterol levels may reduce your risk of high blood pressure, stroke, and heart disease.
2. Natural Pain Relief – Although CBD oil usually gets all the praise for pain relief benefits, hemp oil may also provide natural relief. Hemp seed oil’s anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce pain. You can apply hemp seed oil directly to the painful area for natural pain relief. It becomes a useful ally for injuries.
3. Weight Management – Hemp seed oil may help to support weight management by reducing appetite and improving metabolism.
Studies suggest that omega-3 fatty acids in hemp oil are the key ingredients when it comes to the possible weight loss benefits, as they help burn fat.
Also, suggested in the latest studies, the Gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) found in hemp oil acts as an appetite suppressant and can provide extra support for someone on a weight management program.
4. Brain Health – Hemp seed oil may help to support brain health and cognitive function by providing a source of essential fatty acids including omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that are important for brain development and function including improving memory and helping prevent age-related cognitive conditions. Studies also suggest that Hemp Seed Oil can reduce the symptoms of depression and lessen anxiety.
5. An Immune System Booster – The essential fatty acids in Hemp Seed Oil are required by the body to synthesize endocannabinoids whose function is to strengthen the immune system. That makes it a good idea to regularly take Hemp Seed Oil as an immune-enhancing supplement.
Amounts and Dosage
While the FDA doesn’t provide a recommended daily allowance (RDA) for hemp seed oil, you may wish to consume hemp seed oil to receive its beneficial health effects.
Researchers estimate that three tablespoons of hemp seed oil per day can provide the amount of 3:1 fatty acid ratio needed for a healthy diet.
Hemp seeds are a rich source of nutrients including:
- Protein: Hemp seeds are a complete protein. They contain similar amounts as beef and lamb — 30 grams of hemp seeds, or 2–3 tablespoons, provide about 11 grams of protein and all the essential amino acids that your body cannot produce on its own.
- Minerals: Hemp includes calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and phosphorus. Minerals play an important role in heart, brain, and muscle function.
- Vitamins A, C, E, and B: Vitamins are essential for immunity and disease prevention.
- Dietary fiber: Dietary fiber keeps your digestive system working smoothly.
Hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids. They are also a great protein source and contain high amounts of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium,
- FDA.Gov – 3 GRAS Notices
- Healthline – Nutrition
- WebMD – HEMP Seed Oil
The team at Green Forest Brand assists companies in developing infused products that enhance the medicinal value as well as the value proposition of their products. >>Click here to connect with the Green Forest Brand team.<<